Sunday, July 10, 2011

Solving the Riddle

Hey S.I.Q. fans!

   Big week for us in S.I.Q. land. We had the first of many recording sessions for the new album on Friday, and it went swimmingly. We started by doing scratch tracks of all of us playing together so that we could have something to listen to as we re-recorded our individual parts. We did this for two songs (songs 2 and 3 on the tracklist). We picked one to work on, and I went back and fixed any mess-ups I might have made in recording the original track. Paul didn't have to redo anything because he got it all right on the first go. (Doesn't that tick you off??) After I finished all my little adjustments, Phil and James re-recorded their rhythm tracks, doubled them, and then James laid the leads over top. We even had enough time left after that to do vocals as well, which Ashton later told me he wants to redo. Next Friday, Phil, James, and Ashton will be going back to the studio to do guitars for the other track, as well as vocals for both.
   Yesterday, we had a writing session at Phil's house, and completed a song, the first track to be on the album as a matter of fact. The song had been close to completion for a while and just had a few bits to clear up. Sadly, Paul was unable to attend the writing session (day jobs, gotta love 'em), so we have to show the finished song to him and practice it with him before it will be studio ready.
   After much consideration, we have decided to cut down the number of tracks on the album from 9 to 8. I can't give out the tracklist yet (as much as I may want to), but I can give you an update on where each song is in relation to being recorded and ready to be released.

Song 1: Needs drum part, practice, recording, and  mixing
Song 2: Needs re-recorded vocals and mixing
Song 3: Needs guitar tracks, vocals, and mixing
Song 4: Needs recording and mixing
Song 5: Needs practice, recording, and mixing
Song 6: Needs finishing, lyrics, practice, recording, and mixing
Song 7: Needs recording and mixing
Song 8: Needs recording and mixing

And we are also brainstorming ideas for the title. All the song names have been decided.
   It is really an exciting and inspiring experience for the five of us. Even more ideas for future music are sprouting in our heads.
   Strangely, I don't really have any new music to show you this week, and for that I apologize. Go have a look at my list of artists that I listen to, and pick one or two to listen to. That should be satisfactory. Until next time!

Cole Millward
S.I.Q. bassist

No comments:

Post a Comment