Monday, July 25, 2011

A New Turn of Events pt. 2

Hey S.I.Q. fans!

   Production on the upcoming album is progressing smoothly. Recording for the two singles we will be releasing is finished (Well, 99.9 % finished. I may need to re-record a bass track for one of them), and mixing will occur hopefully within the next two weeks. Following those, we will continue recording and mixing the rest of the songs in the tracklist. Be on the lookout for those two singles; we believe you will enjoy them immensely.
   This week saw a fortunate turn of events for the guitar section of S.I.Q. While in Guitar Center this past Saturday, James was selected by the GC manager to be Charlotte's "Hometown Hero." This means James' picture was taken and will be featured on the Charlotte Guitar Center website soon. Also, Phil got some new gear, in the form of a new multi-effects pedal. I have already heard some of the simple effects he has gotten out of that thing, which leaves me excited to see what he can create with time and a little effort.
   Paul was a little less fortunate this past week, as he underwent surgery that left him unable to play drums while he healed. He should be back in shape in time for our next practice session this Saturday. Still, keep him in your thoughts as he recovers.
   As for me, I have been struggling with one of the most proggy riffs I have ever encountered. Phil wrote it a few weeks ago, but he wrote it in Drop D tuning. I am attempting to play it in standard 6 string bass tuning, and I am slowly conquering it. You can be sure that you'll hear it on a future album, and most likely in multiple shows beforehand. (I know this whole bit isn't really important news, but I just thought I'd share, as it is something of interest to me.) Also, within the next week (I hope), I will be receiving in the mail two items that will make my life easier and my music sound better respectively: an Android-powered tablet (thanks to my uncle, who graciously gave it to me and even more graciously fixed it when I did something to make it not work) and a new multi-effects pedal. As a matter of fact, the pedal is the bass version of the new guitar pedal that Phil got.
   Just like most people my age, I am going to be attending my first semester of college starting in only a few weeks. I will be attending Central Piedmont Community College, and will be aiming for an Associates in Fine Arts (focusing in music, of course). This means that in my first semester, along with all the general education classes, I will be joining a jazz ensemble. I am especially excited about that, as I have begun to experiment with and learn about jazz within the past few months. In particular, I have been paying attention to the bass playing art of Jaco Pastorius. Here's a video to show why he is becoming an idol of mine.
Pretty sweet stuff right?

   It is at this point that I will also share with you all the other music that I have taken a special interest in over the past week or so.
"Long Way Home" by Seventh Wonder

"Fireroses Dance" by Vanden Plas

"Supremacy Our Kind" by Pagan's Mind

"Crack the Meter" by Jordan Rudess, the keyboardist for Dream Theater. I actually have this album because my sister bought it. So nice to have a sister that also likes prog!

Here's a bit of an unusual one for me:
"Blackest Eyes" by Porcupine Tree. 

And lastly, this:
A good quality live version of "On the Backs of Angels" by Dream Theater. MOST excellent.

I would actually like to close this entry with an invitation to any readers of my blog. I share a lot of my favorite music with you, but never get to hear what you listen to. Here's your chance. Post a song or band that you like in a comment. If I have not heard it/them, I'll give it a listen. 

Have yourselves a nice end to your summer!

Cole Millward
S.I.Q. bassist

No comments:

Post a Comment