Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It's All Coming Together.

Hey S.I.Q. fans!

   A lot has happened since my last entry. The primary reason for my internet silence is that I have been on vacation in Southport, NC, with my family for the past 5 days. Now, however, it is time to once again get you all up to date on the goings-on inside the S.I.Q. camp.
   A week ago, last Tuesday, we performed at Jortsfest in Cornelius, NC. I am not going to sugarcoat it; It was one of the poorest playing experiences we have had as a band. I am not blaming the management, because it seemed like the coordinators of the event were honestly doing their best to make sure it went over well. I am not admitting the fault was ours either, because we still played our setlist near perfectly. It just was not our day.
   When we arrived, we discovered that there was no house sound system; the venue was an old movie theater with the first few rows of seats removed from each individual theater to make room for a makeshift performance space, and the only supplied sound system was a small P.A. to amplify vocals. Amplifiers and drums went un-miced, which made a solid, well-mixed sound all but impossible to achieve. Also, the band that went before us went well over their allotted time with their setlist, and made no effort to quickly load up their gear to make way for ours. Already stressed because of this, Phil and I were further frustrated when we found that the power cords for our amps would not easily reach the power outlet, and James encountered difficulties when he broke a string while warming up (fortunately, Phil had spares of all the strings, and was able to supply a replacement). Probably the greatest inconvenience was during our first song, Stasis, when Paul broke the head on his snare drum. To top all of this off, the temperature inside the venue was sweltering hot, leaving us all sweat-soaked.
   Not our best show, to be sure. I will say that it still benefited us, as Paul has now played a great show with us, and a not-so-great show with us.
   All of our fans who attended still said that we put on a good concert, so perhaps all these peeves are in our own heads. We will be endeavoring even more now to put on nothing but good performances for you, our fans.
   Now for the real news. Are you ready?
   We are reentering the studio this coming Saturday, July 9th, to begin the long process of recording our first, yet untitled, full length studio album. We are planning on a nine track setlist, including two re-recorded songs from our demo. We will be keeping you up to speed on our progress through my blog, our facebook page, and a possible video documentary. Who is excited? Aside from us I mean.
   Along with the album, new merchandise is in the works.
   Speaking of new music, how about I share some with you? I'll start with the one that excites me the most.

A single released from Dream Theater's upcoming album. This song is called "On the Backs of Angels".

Thanks to Phil, this is "And the Maiden Spoke", by Nevermore.

"Rush of Silence", my favorite track from Vanden Plas' The Seraphic Clockwork.

And those are really all I have for today. Keep an eye out for all the upcoming news on our album, and I will post again when I return from vacation. 

Cole Millward
S.I.Q. bassist

No comments:

Post a Comment