Saturday, February 26, 2011

Your hair...ITS SOOOO SOFT!!!!!!

Hey S.I.Q. fans!

   This evening, Tremont music hall played host to the Gorilla battle of the bands, of which we were a part. Sadly, we did not sell the most tickets of all the bands, and ended up playing fourth from last. I'll go ahead and tell you, we did not win this one. It's completely ok though. Not a single one of us is bummed about it. We got to put on a great show for fans and non-fans alike. The set was comprised of Stasis, Nightmare Lullaby, Wash Away, and No Pockets, in that order. Nothing really went wrong to cause us to lose, we just didn't play close enough to the end, which brings me to a little something I'd like to say. One second, let me climb up on my soapbox here...

   The Way Battles SHOULD Go

1. Battles should not be judged by crowd response. After all, a crowd WILL cheer the loudest for the band they came to see, regardless of whether a band was "better" than another or not. Ultimately, these are "Battles of the Crowds," not "Battles of the Bands." Crowds should not be discounted, as they are very important to tell whether a band was enjoyable, but the tally should also include a vote from a panel of judges, each very knowledgeable about music in general, and unbiased toward any genre. Also, if a vote from the bands themselves were taken, with the restriction of not being able to vote for themselves, that might also aid in the accuracy of the result. Musicians can tell when other musicians are doing well, and can REALLY tell if they are not.

2. Battles should include fewer bands, but each band be given a longer set. Four bands, each with an hour long set, would go over much better. More fans are likely to attend if they know that their favorite band is going to be playing for an hour. Also, it cuts down on set up and tear down time, making the whole set up and soundcheck experience much more relaxed. I know from experience that when I am rushed to set up my rig, I miss something and start worrying that the electronics in my amplifier are acting up (when really the power cable for my multi-fx pedal isn't plugged in or something of that kind). Also, some people just get plain tired of continually asking "So how many bands are left until [insert favorite band here] is up?"

3. Battles, if promised to be on the big stage, SHOULD BE ON THE BIG STAGE!

4. Battles should ultimately be about encouragment of the bands BY the other bands. A band may see that another band is doing well in a battle, and might make notes on what works, be it stage presence or musical technicality.

Pretty much, I've learned that the real pleasure in battles (there is little for me) is when people who weren't even a part of your band's following come up to you and say "Dude...Where did that solo come from??" Really, battles are just ways for a band to spread their fanbase. It's just a shame that we have to all try to be "better" than other bands in order to achieve $500 cash.
   Don't get me wrong, I'm not being sore about our loss this evening. Quite frankly, even if we had won, it wouldn't have been under fair circumstances. That's just the way battles go.
   Three times this evening I had people ask permission to feel my hair. My sister Chloe generally straightens it for me for shows, which give some the irrepressible need to touch it. I honestly don't mind that much; It's simply entertaining to watch people walk around me in circles saying "Its so soft and silky!"
   As always, I also got compliments on just how pretty my 6 string looks. It really is a beauty to behold in person.
   Before I end my description of the battle, I would like to give a shout out to our friends Luna's Lament, who, albiet going on second, put on one heck of a show. They know how to rock, and I am so glad that they will be playing with us on St. Patricks day at Amos' Southend.
   So, after all the stress, I am happy to say that we will not be doing battles again for the forseeable future. Just straight shows where our fans get to see a whole S.I.Q. show instead of a 15-30 minute sample. The next one, as I just mentioned, is at Amos' Southend on March 17th. Tickets are $7 and will be available in about a week. Definitely a show you won't want to miss.
   Thanks once again to all of you, and God bless.

Cole Millward
S.I.Q. bassist

No comments:

Post a Comment