Thursday, November 8, 2012

Redemption of a Venue (ft. Fall of Ashes)

Hey S.I.Q. fans!

Our show at The Bonu5 Room was pretty awesome, and totally redeemed the venue for us. The last time we performed at The Bonu5 Room was for Jortsfest in July of last year, a show which went down in history as one of our worst shows ever. Lets take a quick trip down memory lane.

At Jortsfest of 2011, it was HOT. Prior to performing, we were all worried about what the heat would do to our instruments, whether or not it would do things to our guitars and strings, whether or not our amps would be affected, all that mess. We ended up setting up our stuff late due to the previous band playing over their time, James broke a string, Paul broke the head on his snare, and Phil and I had problems with power sources. Just not a good show for us.

This past show there, however, made The Bonu5 Room a legitimate venue in our eyes again. We played with a lineup of 5 bands: Preta, Paradox, Fall of Ashes, The Coming Dawn, and ourselves. We are good friends with The Coming Dawn and have performed with them before, and they put on just as good a show as they always do, thrilling us musicians in the audience with their awesome ethereal jams and intense musical movements. Props guys, I always enjoy watching you play!

We also made new friends with Fall of Ashes. What a group of musicians! Their chops seriously impressed us, and even I've been known to get an occasional case of musician syndrome. They gave us all a much needed serving of high quality prog metal. And they are some seriously cool guys too. A week after the show, I got in touch with their singer, Jason, and their guitarist, Mikey (who teaches at Streetwise Music Instruction, where James teaches, and who also attends CPCC with me) to arrange hangage. So Phil, James, and I got together with them and some of their other musician friends for an evening of video games, jamming, and stimulating conversation. We'll have to do it again soon fellas!

There are some S.I.Q. shows and events in the works for the near future. I do not know any details yet, but I will be sure to keep you updated! Until then, the boys and I are working on writing new music which I believe you will like, as well as learning a boatload of 70's, 80's, 90's cover songs for a cover project we are working on. However, if you want to see me play with one of my other musical outlets, I will be at Pure Taqueria in downtown Matthews on Saturday, November 17th, with my buddy Nate Randall's Bad Tuesday. There's food, friends, and alcohol, so come out and party with us!

I updated the photos section of my main blog page, so check out the more recent live photographs!

Also, as a follow up to my video showcasing my rig, I recorded a video showing you the different tones and sounds I get with it! Here it is:




 That's about it for this little blog entry. Please remember to check out Fall of Ashes and The Coming Dawn, go show them some love! Have an awesome week!

Metal on.

Cole Millward
S.I.Q. bassist

No comments:

Post a Comment